Kitchen Chemistry Course Overview
There is a lot of chemistry that can be learned while cooking. This class focuses on important foundational concepts in chemistry using food and cooking to teach them! YUM! Learners will build scientific models and learn important lab techniques as they learn the fascinating science of food.
- The recipes in this class are vegetarian or vegan. No meat is used in any dishes.
- All recipes can easily be adapted to use gluten-free ingredients.
- Some of the dishes in this class include cooking in the oven and on the stove.
This course comes with original materials written by Blair Lee for Kitchen Chemistry.
Each week students will learn about important science concepts that build on previous classes. This is a hands-on science course. You can look for Blair to encourage mastery of the concepts with a hands-on approach to learning both in class and outside of it.
In addition to important topical knowledge, students will:
- Learn the scientific method by using it
- Get experience with the practical and important skill of cooking important basic cooking
- Learn important lab skills while using common kitchen tools
- Gain experience writing reports and recording observations
- Work with 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional scientific models
- Have the option of presenting an original recipe
- Engage with a peer group about this fascinating area of science!
Class will meet weekly for one hour minutes to discuss and learn about kitchen chemistry. The class is interactive. Student projects turned in will be given specific, individualized feedback.
Class Meeting Dates
Meets Every Tuesday 9/13 - 12/20 for 14-weeks at 12 pm PST
1 week off on 11/22
Texts: All Course Materials will be provided.
To interact in class: Live sessions will be best experienced with a camera and microphone. Family’s will need a Zoom account (free).
Supply List Will Be Available by August 1, 2022
Do you want a year of high-quality science at a discount for your late elementary through middle school aged students?
SEA Online Classes Science teachers, Blair Lee and Alison Blanco, have teamed up to help you out. Here’s how it works. Choose one of their three Fall courses and pair it with one of their three Spring courses. When you do, you will get a refund of $25 for each course. That is $50 total in refunds. You can choose courses from either of the two teachers, or just one teacher for the entire year. To get the refunds, you will need to purchase the second course within 48 hours of the purchase of the first course.
The courses run from 14 to 16 weeks. They meet important Next Gen Science Standards. All course materials are included with the classes.
The Course Options for the Fall Semester Are:
- Microbiology with Blair Lee 14-weeks
- Wildlife Ecology and Conservation with Alison Blanco 14-weeks
- Kitchen Chemistry with Blair Lee 14-weeks
The Course Options for the Spring Semester Are:
- Marine Science with Blair Lee 16-weeks
- Fundamentals of Physics with Alison Blanco 14-weeks
- Applied Conservation Biology with Blair Lee 16-weeks
The table below shows courses that would pair well with each other for a full year focused on similar areas of science. But, any pairing of a Fall and Spring course gets the discount.
Blair and Alison have worked together to ensure the course material is not redundant to another course. Your learner will be covering unique material from one semester to the next.
If you have any questions, please reach out to: Blair at [email protected] and Alison at [email protected]