Moxie by Jennifer Mathieu
Self-Paced Teen Book Club
Tired of the rampant sexism in her high school and inspired by a box of her mom's Riot Grrrl-era zines, Vivian is ready to do something about it!
This book offers frank discussions of rebellion, inclusion, and what it means to make a difference in the world — even if it comes with risks.
How does a self-paced book club work?
A self-paced book club is a great option for digging deeper into a text and doing some activities to help with your understanding and analysis of the text and its themes.
Included in this class, you'll find the following:
- A suggested reading schedule (broken into four weeks)
- A PDF reading guide with comprehension questions for each week
- Vocabulary activities
- Writing/multimodal project prompts related to the reading
- Rubrics for parents/guardians to give feedback on projects
- Links to supplemental resources related to the text and its themes
The class was designed to take about a month to complete, but you can complete it at whatever pace works for you!
- A copy of the book Moxie by Jennifer Mathieu
- A PDF reader
- Video and audio capabilities on the device you use for class
This book looks at sexism and includes depictions of sexual harassment. There is allusion to (though no description of) an attempted rape. There is a romance between two characters that involves kissing.