Winner of the 2018 National Book Award for Young People's Literature, The Poet X follows Xiomara Batista in this coming-of-age tale set against the backdrop of the Harlem slam poetry scene.
A first-generation Dominican American, Xiomara is growing up in a very Catholic immigrant home that has left her feeling ill-equipped to deal with her current life experiences.
How Live Book Club Classes Work
Participation in the live book club includes access to a set of resources and activities as well as interactive components.
- A suggested reading schedule
- PDF reading guides with comprehension questions
- Vocabulary/reading activities
- Discussion board posts in our online classroom
- Writing/multimodal project prompts related to the reading
- An invitation to a live discussion
- A recording of the summary of the live discussion
- An optional feedback add-on for the final paper/project
- Rubrics for at-home feedback
Families are welcome to use as much or as little of the suggested resources and activities as they'd like to fit their interest and schedules.
This book contains discussion of religion (especially questioning its power), parental abuse, physical intimacy (kissing and making out), and sexuality.
February 1-28, 2023
Monday, February 27 from 1-2pm Eastern
Those who cannot attend the live session will receive a recorded summary.
A copy of the book The Poet X (ISBN: 9780062662811). Borrowed, used, and audio formats will work.
- Zoom account for live session
- Microphone and camera for live session
- PDF reader
- Access to printer recommended