Self-Paced Tween Book Club: Esperanza Rising
Esperanza is living a life of luxury as the daughter of a wealthy Mexican rancher, but when tragedy strikes, her whole world is turned upside down.
As she and her mother make a dangerous trek into the United States as migrant workers, Esperanza realizes how much her life did not prepare her to do, so now she has to learn quickly as she grapples with her new understanding of identity.
How does a self-paced book club work?
A self-paced book club is a great option for digging deeper into a text and doing some activities to help with your understanding and analysis of the text and its themes.
Included in this class, you'll find the following:
- A suggested reading schedule (broken into four weeks)
- A PDF reading guide with comprehension questions for each week
- Vocabulary activities
- Writing/multimodal project prompts related to the reading
- Rubrics for parents/guardians to give feedback on projects
- Links to supplemental resources related to the text and its themes
The class was designed to take about a month to complete, but you can complete it at whatever pace works for you!
- A copy of the book Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan
- A PDF reader
- Video and audio capabilities on the device you use for class